Sunday, November 8, 2009

Caterpillar to Butterfly.

Ah, there is nothing like when your daughter comes home for a visit. This is not an ideal visit. She came because of her grandfather's passing, but that aside it is great to see her. She has turned into such a beautiful woman.

We have been so very close over the years, but the past five years she has been so consumed with the demands of her job in San Diego that she can't get away anymore. This month alone she has 7 trials that she must prepare for. For you see, child abuse never takes a vacation. Oh yes, I worry about her safety and sanity, but I am so proud of her. She has always wanted to make a difference, and she does. She has put many families back together, and helped many tiny victims find a safe environment.

Very few people say thank you for the job that she does. She called me several weeks ago and said "Dad. everyone hates me. The parents hate me for taking their kid, the kid hates me for taking them from the abusive parents." The parent's lawyers hate her and attack her credibility and question her veracity.

She has had death threats. She has nightmares about the horrific burned, beaten and malnourished tots that she has first response to . And yet, on she marches.,doing a thankless job.

Of course, there are many delightful moments like when a troubled teen gets their life straightened out because my daughter has found a warm, safe environment for them.She lives for those moments. Last y, she received recognition from the county for her work. It was nice, but that is not why she does what she does. She is a rare breed that actually believes in justice, in liberty, in fighting, like GF does, for the ones who cannot fight for themselves.

And yes, I love her for being and doing all that she does, but mostly, I just love her for being my daughter and that is enough for me.

5 comments:

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

What a wonderful tribute to your daughter. Enjoy your visit!! Yes, thank God we do have people like her and GF who do fight for those who can't fight for themselves. They are a definite light in our world!!

Cedar Street Kid said...

SVG, as you know, daughters can really tug at your heart strings.
I am very, very, proud of her.

RAIN said...

Aw, Dad! Thank you so much! I would come see you under any condition. <3 :) I love you just for you, too.

RAIN said...

That is the most heartfelt gratitude I have ever received. Thank you.

Cedar Street Kid said...

Sweetie, I meant every word of it.

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...