Thursday, November 12, 2009

How We Live Forever

I have always believed in the eternal existence of the soul, and that we all will live forever. This body is but a temporary vehicle to transport us through a tiny portion of our never ending journey. Yesterday was not only Veterans Day, it was also my mother's birthday and my parent's anniversary. My mother was born on Armistice Day, as it was called then, the day that WW1 ended.

Since my Dad graduated into the next realm in October, three hours after my birthday ended,my wife and I have spent countless hours going though the thousand of things that they had, and which represented their interests and expressions of their souls. Some of the things brought tears to my eyes, and some of the things brought a smile and laughter. For instance, we found my my first bow tie from when I was about three. Who would save such a thing? Only a mother. My mother saved everything, and I mean everything. So, as we went through things, we separated out numerous objects that would be shipped out to my brother and sisters in Texas, Seattle, and Oklahoma. Some things went to my son, and when my daughter was here, she selected things that represented her grandparents to her.

Other things were donated, sold, and discarded. Each time, we kept in mind that these things, although only material things, represented the souls and passions of two people who lived very long, loving giving, lives, and we wanted these items to be used in a manner that would bring honor to my parents. We still have many things to take care of, including selling their mobile home, before we can move on.

Each item, every hand made craft that my mother made, each page that my dad faithfully recorded in his diary, and on an on, are alive with memories, love, devotion, and they all remind me of two very wonderful people who shaped my life. No, Idon't need "things" to make my parents live in me, They are only symbols. My parents live in my heart, but these things, that we have sold, given away, and shipped away, I hope will be alive for those who have them, and the cycle of life, their lives, will plant the seed for new life, and the cycle goes on, and never dies.For you see, we are all one.

No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...