Thursday, August 9, 2018

Cat Tales

Oh my, I can hardly keep my eyes open today.  We were up all night with a sick
 cat. Now, she is not just any cat, she is our baby. She is eating and is much better this morning, but we were panicked stricken with the thought of losing her. Come on, admit it, you love your pet like a child, too.

When I was not much more than a toddler growing up in lower Burke area, we had a coal black tom named Dinky. Our backyard was a mountain, and a short distance up the hill was an old wooden flume.

One day Dinky decided to go exploring on the mountain. I saw him go up the hill, and in my 4-year-old mind, I thought that he would be injured or killed unless I followed him. So, without a word to my mother, up the hill, I went.

Dinky had by now discovered the old broken wooden flume, and he was inside it trekking down towards Wallace,  By now I was sure that I would never see him again, and I was crying as I reached the flume and began the same path that Dinky was on.

My mother could hear my cries of anguish and like all good mothers, she assumed that I was in dire straits and that perhaps even a mountain lion had me. So, up the hill went my mother. She was calling out my name, I was crying hysterically by now, and Dinky was continuing his outing, oblivious to the mayhem that he was creating.

To cut to the chase, I went back down the hill with my mother, who was also now crying and making me promise that I would never, ever, do that again.

Of course, Dinky, being the true Tom that he was, returned home unharmed when it was dinner time. My, how I loved that old black cat!


Be good to your pet. They are family.



No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...