Monday, July 30, 2018

August-It Has No Purpose

I hate to see July come to a close because one the evil triad of months awaits with its oven roasting temperatures and long boring nights . Yes, I am talking about August. UGH!

It is my least favorite month of the year. What is the purpose of August, anyway? When we were young, it only served as the month that separated summer vacation from the start of the school year. By August, I was tired of the Wallace swimming pool, Little League was over, and there was nothing but long, hot, burning, days. Wallace had precious few air-conditioners, and my family had exactly none. My upstairs bedroom on Cedar Street was unbearable. I actually longed for the start of the school year and the Fall foliage, the colors of gold, and the cool night air.

My younger sister was born in August, the 7th to be exact, and I was nine the summer she was born. I remember it was 103 degrees that day. My poor mother must have been miserable at the old Wallace Hospital on Cedar.

As an adult, it didn't get much better. People in the hotel world hate August. Well, the owners don't because they make a pile of money, but managers and front line employees hate it because the tourists are getting nastier and nastier. August is the month that  sweet family vacation turns into the Manson family vacation.
I often wondered why some people even bothered to take vacations. They never seemed to have fun, and they were always angry, fighting with each other and being rude and obnoxious to the front desk people,
I could not wait for August to end, and all of the monsters were gone home.

I welcome the end of August with open arms. August has no purpose.

No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...