Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Progress? Phonics Is Not A City In Arizona

I am greatly disturbed to find out that much of my education through the 6th grade is been for nuttin, cause they done gone and found new fangled ways to do things. For example, let us examine the discipline of phonics. I still use phonics when I am unsure about the spelling of some word (OK, OK, so I use spell check now), but I still admire phonics. Why was phonics so bad that they quit teaching it? Kids today think that Phonics is a city in Arizona.

In my day, two plus two equaled four.That is obviously not the case now because government accountants can do the same math when it comes to spending and they tell us that really, that two and two are only three, and that -never mind, that is a whole different subject.

Now, I read that cursive writing is on the way out. As a matter of fact, the so-called "Common Core State Standards" do not include instruction in cursive. No, what we called "printing" and of course keyboarding are now the required teachings. Wow, is this not going backwards? I mean, really, printing was taught in kindergarten and the first grade, and then as we progressed, we were rewarded with being taught "real" writing, otherwise known as cursive.
 I got a boot up on some of the other kids in my grade because my mother taught my brother and I how to write,(cursive) long before we went to school. Cursive was a sign of accomplishment, a reward, and a sure sign that one had arrived. Now, we find out that it means nothing. By by cursive. You can teach any monkey to keyboard, but only a talented human can use a beautiful, flowing cursive handwriting. I  guess that so-called handwriting experts will be out of a job.

Anyway, I am so depressed to find out that my 6ht grade education can be flushed down the toilet.
You know, the cold weather is starting to get to me, Maybe I will just move to Phonics for the winter.

No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...