Saturday, April 11, 2015

Remembering Little League in Wallace


I was so proud watching my grandson pitch in the Little League World Series. It brought back a lot of great memories for me of my career in Wallace Little League. I played for USWA and wore number 15, the same number that my brother had worn for the same team. If I remember correctly, Go Figure played for TeleView. We had the following teams:

Gene's

Tabors

Hecla

Rotary

USWA

TeleView-Sp correction per GF- TELVIEW-NO e!!!!

Gyro

Britt’s-Garden Spot (-Steins to you newcomers)

I think that was all of the teams.

We had two fields, and both fields had features peculiar to them. The Wallace field was on the elementary school playground and was nothing more than dirt and rocks. It did, however, have several redeeming features. The grandstands were much better here, and the "dug out" was far superior to the bench at the other park. Also, the Wallace field did have a home run fence, which made it easier to hit a home run, although I never reached the fence.

The other field was in Silverton, and was part of the great stadium complex of the Little League field, the Babe Ruth field, complete with lights for night games, and of course, Sather Field, home of the Wallace High School football team. The beauty of Silverton was that it was a grass field, but there was no home run fence and no dugout. But overall, I preferred playing there.

Ah yes, childhood days in Wallace were great. There was always something to do in those days.

2 comments:

Go Figure said...

Cedar,
I think that you have taken a little literary license with your characterization of the Silverton field being part of "the great stadium complex." Ha!. Yes, Telview [no 'e'], great memory. My Dad was the Manager, so I have the Little League Champion trophy for 1964 sitting in a corner of my office. No one has ever mentioned it but then nobody has ever mentioned the fact that I have my Wallace Kindergarten Diploma of Graduation framed and hanging on my office wall too! Ha!

Cedar Street Kid said...

Yes, too many years have passed. It is indeed Telview, no E.I stand here humiliated. Sather Field was a great complex compared to the field in Wallace. I mean, it was before the times. Here was a multi-purpose complex that predated the now defunct multi-purpose stadiums of the 70's. Yes, I still have my k diploma, too, and the graduation cap and tassel from that great kindergarten class.

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...