Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Old Gray Mayor

Well, it is Election Day all over the country today, and one of the most fascinating local elections in years is happening right here in Coeur d' Alene  in the race for mayor. Normally, a local elections for mayor in a relatively unimportant town like CDA would not interest me in the least, but at stake here is a philosophical and political divide that could not be more diametrically opposed.

One of the candidates is backed by the proverbial "powers that be", and the other one is a candidate of the rest of the people, like me, who are not that important as far as anyone outside of my family is concerned. I have always naively believed that elected officials should do the will of the people, not the will of the few with money and power. If elected officials are to represent the people, then the will of the people is what should be put in place. Yes, I know, I know, I already said that I am naïve, but I am strong believer in the rule of the people.

Growing up in Wallace, I do not remember there being any races for mayor. Most of the time that I was growing up, Arnold Keller was the mayor, and he always ran without opposition. I use to think that it would be fun to move back to Wallace and run for mayor. If I were mayor of Wallace, I would strive to bring back the "Houses", and the gambling, and the neon signs that use to hang over all of the businesses. I would---------

Better yet, maybe I will move to Burke and run for mayor of that great town.

2 comments:

Go Figure said...

Mayor Cedar: Great Idea. I would even try to vote for you. I am not from Canada, but Cda is probably just as good for an election in the Valley!

Cedar Street Kid said...

Sure, GF, CDA works fine. I think that anyone who ever lived in Wallace can vote in Wallace or Burke elections. By the way, can people from CDA vote in Canadian elections?

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...