Thursday, December 6, 2018

Finding Christmas Joy

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. As the clock strikes the midnight hour on December 25th, I start counting down the days until the next Christmas. Yes, I am a Christmas guy. I love it all, the movies, the trees, the lights, the displays, and the spirit of human kindness that temporarily shows here at this time of year.

Is the real beauty of the season in the tinsel and the blinking lights, or is the real beauty in the stark reality of human frailty versus the strength and the loving compassion of the babe in the manger, who is now the living Savior of the world, and the King of Kings and Lord of Lords?

I desired this Christmas to be full of laughter, joy, cookies, and Christmas love, but life had a different plan Last Thursday night about 11 PM, the phone rang, and that is never a good sign that time of night. WIth a feeling of doom I looked down at the incoming number, and sure enough, I knew some time of bad news was coming.

My sister-in-law's voice sounded shaky, and I braced for the worst. No, my big brother was not dead, but he was in bad shape, He has been in ill health off and on for about 5 years, But what she was about to tell me sent shock waves through me. He has sepsis in his right foot,  gangrene has set in and
it was in his blood system and the leg would have to be amputated!
 .
The surgery was yesterday, and I am still shaking. My brother, my childhood idol, is lying in an Oklahoma City hospital minus his right leg from the calf on down. I tear up when I think of it. The athlete that he was at one time flashes through my head, and I weep. He is fighting for his life because the gangrene is in his bloodstream, and I pray and pray and pray for him. I don't know if God is going to take him or heal him, but I do know that I am finding my Christmas in the arms of Christ. He alone can get me through this.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9-KJV





No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...