Baseball in Wallace goes way back even before the more formal Idaho-Washington League. Here is a blurb from the Spokane Daily Chronicle with a dateline of Spet7,1908
The Coeur D Alene baseball league composed of teams from Wallace, Wardner-Kellogg, and Mullan is completing plans for a series of games to be played in Spokane, commencing next Sunday and lasting throughout the week.It is the plan of the miners to show the Spokane fans some good baseball throughout the series.Below is an article about Recreation Park from Spokane Indians stadiums of the past.So,as you can see, the boys from Wallace were playing in a professional stadium,and I am sure they arose to the occasion with the usual Wallace pride.
Baseball was a great game in those days, and it must have been fun growing up Wallace in the early 1900's
Recreation ParkWhen the Graves brothers, who had railroad and street-car interests, gained control of the Indians at midseason in 1905, they hastily built a large wood park that straddled what would have been Regal Street, just south of its intersection with Boone Avenue. The property, several miles directly east of Natatorium Park, was bounded by Spokane Traction Company lines on its left-field and first-base sides as well with Spokane and Inland Railway tracks adjoining the street-car tracks on the first-base or south side. The new grounds, named Recreation Park, sat only a few blocks north of the Spokane Interstate Fairgrounds, which had opened in 1901.
The playing field, which sported the city's first grass infield, may have been the roomiest in the West. Outfield fences were at least 400 feet from home plate, even though the era was dominated by pitching. As a result, no home runs were hit out of the park until 1908. Initially, Recreation Park seated a thousand fans. However, by 1908, with baseball booming, management expanded the grandstand and the bleachers almost every time the Indians went on the road. By late 1909, the stands could seat 7,000, and they were sometimes full. The Indians moved back to Natatorium Park in 1916. College and high school football and baseball teams played at Recreation Park until the early 1920s. The stands were then demolished, and most of the land sat vacant for more than 70 years.