Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wow, It Is June-

I just realized that I have not posted a single entry for June. Time, as the saying goes,not seem to fly, it must have boarded a high speed train. So, I will try to get in a few June drivels. 

Yesterday was my grandson's, Tai, thirteenth birthday, you know, THE BIG ONE! Oh yes, 12 years old is still childhood, but 13? Well, adulthood is right around the corner, and you are "grown up", at least in your eyes. Sorry, Tai, to me you are still the tiny baby that filled your grandpa's heart with special glow that I had never experienced before.

I was still living in Seattle in those days, and every moment that I could get away from the hotel, I headed up to your parent's house to see you. i have hundreds and hundreds of photos of you. I remember the first time that you fell asleep in my arms. I remember holding your hand when you started walking, and ventured up the street to the baseball park and watched the soft ball games on Sunday afternoons. You had already developed a love of baseball that you have to this day.

I remember the fist time that you called me "grandpa", and instead of making me feel old, it had quite the opposite effect. I made me feel alive. I remember that we talked Seattle Mariner baseball when you were only two years old, and you could name some of the players even then. Cammy,(Mike Cameron) was your favorite player, and you even had a jersey with his name on it.

I follow your Little League games from here in Idaho on cam at your park there. You are quite the ball player, and who knows, maybe someday I will see you wearing a major league uniform. You have already had scouts looking at you, and a video of one your games was viewed by a personal friend of mine who played for the Cincinnati Reds in the Big Red Machine days. He was very impressed with you.

If you become a MLB player, I will be so proud of you, but I will be just as proud of you no matter what profession you choose in life, because you are my grandson, my first grandchild, and this old man loves you very much. Happy Birthday, Tai. 

No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...