Tuesday, January 21, 2014

PSRVDD, Here Is What It Means To Me

I could not believe it, it could not be happening twice in the same month! OK, I am being a tad bit over dramatic, but it could have been a lot more dramatic event. It could have even led to fatalities. More on that story later, but for now let me simply say that I do not understand why so many people with a driving IQ in the single digits are allowed the privilege of operating a motor vehicle. 

I expected moronic drivers when I lived in Seattle, Las Vegas, New York City, Portland, and spent time in Los Angeles, but I did not expect such utter disregard for basic driving laws like I have witnessed in Coeur d' Alene since moving back here. 

Here are a few simple tips for those who are suffering from a new, but an alarmingly increasing malady, PSRVDD, or in case someone reading this is trying to read that as a word, it is an abbreviation for " POST SCHOOL READING and VOCABULARY DEFICIT DISORDER" Ok, I made that term up, but it does sound impressive, does it not?  This disorder, while having potentially life threatening effects, can be treated and even possibly cured with some simple relearning of some vocabulary words and signage. 

1. STOP- I should not have to explain the meaning of this word, but----Let me begin the lesson on this word by first explaining what it does not mean. It does not mean that you keep your wheels rolling forward. STOP means STOP.  Any questions so far? Everyone got it?  So, when you come up to the pretty red sign that says "STOP", what should you do? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?, Bueller? Wow, I watch far too many movies. I will answer my own question. What do you do you do when you drive up to the pretty red sign that has the letters on it STOP?  YOU STOP, CEASE MOVING FORWARD, STOP INCHING FORWARD In other words, bring your vehicle to a complete stop,don't go, cease moving forward, UNTIL, it is safe to do so. The life that you save may be mine. I thank you, my wife thanks you, my children and grandchildren thank you. If you have any questions, please look up the meaning of the word in the dictionary. 

2. One Way Street-Ah, here are the words that inspired this blog today. Twice in the last month, my wife and I were driving southbound on 4th Street, a one way street by the way, and we prepared to STOP that the red light at the intersection of 4th and Sherman. To our utter amazement and horror, right before we arrived at the light, a car came barreling down Sherman and turned right onto 4th, heading right toward us. Just in the nick of time I slowed down enough and got out of the way as the errant driver of the other car kept proceeding up to the next intersection and turned right just as if he had never realized that he had been on a one way street going the wrong way. 

Now, would you believe that two short weeks later, the same type of incident happened to us n 4t ad Sherman, only this time the other drive realized  his mistake, and pulled sharply over to the curb by Wells Fargo Bank. My wife and I could only shake our heads in amazement,and shuddered about what could have been. 

Lesson, those arrows pointing one direction on a street mean that traffic only flows in that direction, and the signs that say " one way"  mean exactly that.

Please, CDA dirvers, take a remedial reading course. I am sure that any of our fine elementary school kids will be glad to teach you what STOP means and what one way means.  

No comments:

Big Name Sport's Stars-Boring

Is anyone else sick and tired of prima donna athletes? KD,this is boring. You signed the contract, now, do the job and win a championship fo...